• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Dutch Containership with Stuck Rudder Does Circles in North Sea -AIS

Started by Solar, April 06, 2021, 12:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solar

Thought this was interesting.... :blink:

Dutch Containership with Stuck Rudder Does Circles in North Sea -AIS




AIS data shows the vessel as being underway from Rotterdam to Helsinki, Finland with its status as "Not Under Command".

The Coastguard has sent the offshore vessel Guardian to assist.

By my count, the ship did about 25 circles before the spinning eventually stopped (at least so it seems).



https://gcaptain.com/dutch-containership-with-stuck-rudder-does-circles-in-north-sea-ais/
Official Trump Cult Member

#WWG1WGA

Q PATRIOT!!!

Sick Of Silence

How bad of a Captain do you have to be to keep going in circles?
Social Media are multi-national billion dollar corporations with foreign investors that are going unchecked with the power to effect our election process.

"Book burnings" have evolved into "de-plat forming". Its the same principles behind both: to eliminate accessible knowledge.

Solar

Quote from: Sick Of Silence on April 06, 2021, 05:25:57 PM
How bad of a Captain do you have to be to keep going in circles?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I could have simply shutdown the engine?

I wondered the same thing, WTF, shut it down and call for help. This makes me wonder, just how much control over these ships do these captains have?
Official Trump Cult Member

#WWG1WGA

Q PATRIOT!!!

winterset

Quote from: Solar on April 06, 2021, 10:08:48 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I could have simply shutdown the engine?

I wondered the same thing, WTF, shut it down and call for help. This makes me wonder, just how much control over these ships do these captains have?

Better to be under power than not.  With the engine  shut down you are at the mercy of the winds and the waves; and this is the North Sea.

Add to that the fact that container ships are rather top heavy.

Solar

Quote from: winterset on April 06, 2021, 11:43:23 PM
Better to be under power than not.  With the engine  shut down you are at the mercy of the winds and the waves; and this is the North Sea.

Add to that the fact that container ships are rather top heavy.
As opposed to going in circles? :rolleyes:
No, they are not top heavy, if they were, they'd be belly up at the slightest wind/wave.
Official Trump Cult Member

#WWG1WGA

Q PATRIOT!!!

winterset

Quote from: Solar on April 07, 2021, 12:33:58 AM
As opposed to going in circles? :rolleyes:
No, they are not top heavy, if they were, they'd be belly up at the slightest wind/wave.

IF the ship is fully loaded they are indeed top heavy. Much like the Japanese heavy ships were in WW2.

and clearly you know nothing about what happens when a ship lies to as it is called and is without propulsion.

Hoofer

Quote from: winterset on April 06, 2021, 11:43:23 PM
Better to be under power than not.  With the engine  shut down you are at the mercy of the winds and the waves; and this is the North Sea.

Add to that the fact that container ships are rather top heavy.
That is correct.  It's gonna be a disaster on the open ocean, eventually the ship will drift sideways .. and be at the mercy of the waves.
Even descending rapids on a wild river, you want to keep moving faster or slower than the current - or you cannot steer.
I read the crew abandoned the ship - but, naturally... can't find the article.

These are interesting to watch...  it's keeping your speed up... or you're screwed .. get turned sideways, it's all over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdHsij8PFho

I buried the bow of my Sea Ray on the Hatteras Inlet ... it ain't for the faint of heart!  I love the big pond, it's getting "out" and "in" thru these inlets that'll kill ya.
All animals are created equal; Some just take longer to cook.   Survival is keeping an eye on those around you...

Solar

Quote from: winterset on April 07, 2021, 04:40:29 AM
IF the ship is fully loaded they are indeed top heavy. Much like the Japanese heavy ships were in WW2.
It's obvious you know absolutely zero about the shipping container industry!
These ships are loaded in such a manner that the heaviest containers are loaded first, the lightest last. If they were top heavy as you claim, they'd be rolling over constantly, and the fact that they aren't, exposes your ignorance.

Quoteand clearly you know nothing about what happens when a ship lies to as it is called and is without propulsion.

Were you attempting to say something intelligent? You failed miserably!
Official Trump Cult Member

#WWG1WGA

Q PATRIOT!!!

winterset

Quote from: Solar on April 07, 2021, 08:19:31 AM
It's obvious you know absolutely zero about the shipping container industry!
These ships are loaded in such a manner that the heaviest containers are loaded first, the lightest last. If they were top heavy as you claim, they'd be rolling over constantly, and the fact that they aren't, exposes your ignorance.

Were you attempting to say something intelligent? You failed miserably!

So you work for the container industry?  Explains a lot.

Solar

Quote from: winterset on April 07, 2021, 09:49:39 AM
So you work for the container industry?  Explains a lot.
No, I understand hydrology and how it applies to the physical world!
Official Trump Cult Member

#WWG1WGA

Q PATRIOT!!!

Hoofer

Quote from: Solar on April 07, 2021, 10:24:29 AM
No, I understand hydrology and how it applies to the physical world!
...and I've swamped canoes, rubber rafts, sail boats, row boats, power boats & recovered every one of them!    :thumbsup:  We had to do that on purpose, annually, so the WSI (water safety instructors), had practice if such an event occurred.  A little bit of buoyancy goes a long way, surface tension & cohesion of water is an amazing thing. 
All animals are created equal; Some just take longer to cook.   Survival is keeping an eye on those around you...

Solar

Quote from: Hoofer on April 07, 2021, 09:27:36 PM
...and I've swamped canoes, rubber rafts, sail boats, row boats, power boats & recovered every one of them!    :thumbsup:  We had to do that on purpose, annually, so the WSI (water safety instructors), had practice if such an event occurred.  A little bit of buoyancy goes a long way, surface tension & cohesion of water is an amazing thing.
Yep, literally grew up alongside water, diving in the pacific every weekend for abalone near Monterey, or Dori fishing, salvage etc.
I won't list all the craft I lost in all those years to my ignorance of boiling.
Official Trump Cult Member

#WWG1WGA

Q PATRIOT!!!

Hoofer

Quote from: Solar on April 07, 2021, 11:30:15 PM
Yep, literally grew up alongside water, diving in the pacific every weekend for abalone near Monterey, or Dori fishing, salvage etc.
I won't list all the craft I lost in all those years to my ignorance of boiling.

Like you, we've probably been out in some pretty nasty stuff - not as bad as the North Sea, with the threat of hypothermia if you get dunked!

A little less braver now, than I was before ... I'd never shoot some of those rapids & falls on those rivers, at my age, even with the extra floatation around my midsection!

If i were on that container ship, with a stuck rudder, I would have been calling "Mayday!" after the 3rd loop.   Try a few tricks to free it, but, 25 loops...?
All animals are created equal; Some just take longer to cook.   Survival is keeping an eye on those around you...

Solar

Quote from: Hoofer on April 08, 2021, 02:09:16 AM
Like you, we've probably been out in some pretty nasty stuff - not as bad as the North Sea, with the threat of hypothermia if you get dunked!

A little less braver now, than I was before ... I'd never shoot some of those rapids & falls on those rivers, at my age, even with the extra floatation around my midsection!

If i were on that container ship, with a stuck rudder, I would have been calling "Mayday!" after the 3rd loop.   Try a few tricks to free it, but, 25 loops...?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, the rivers in my area are literally melted snow. Dive in, come up and take a breath and your throat is closed from the cold. People die out here every year because they think they can handle cold water, Russians get taken regularly because they do the cold dunk in ice water, but when the current is moving along at 25 MPH, one has to struggle to stay afloat.

Yeah, 25 circles is literally the epitome of insanity, repeating stupidity, it's bound to work....eventually. :lol:
Official Trump Cult Member

#WWG1WGA

Q PATRIOT!!!

Hoofer

Quote from: Solar on April 08, 2021, 02:16:54 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, the rivers in my area are literally melted snow. Dive in, come up and take a breath and your throat is closed from the cold. People die out here every year because they think they can handle cold water, Russians get taken regularly because they do the cold dunk in ice water, but when the current is moving along at 25 MPH, one has to struggle to stay afloat.

Yeah, 25 circles is literally the epitome of insanity, repeating stupidity, it's bound to work....eventually. :lol:

Me to poorly informed, aged voter, "So, what is it you like so much about Joe Biden, that he's a LOCK with you...?"
Same for Virginia Senators, Mark Warner and Timmy Kaine...?  And you're a hunter, right?
All animals are created equal; Some just take longer to cook.   Survival is keeping an eye on those around you...